It is 7 p.m. Saturday evening and I just finished watching “NBC Nightly News” with Lester Holt (Peter Alexander substituting). There was a story that made me very angry and very sad—in much the same way as preventable adverse events do in medical institutions, where patients, who put their trust in the men and women of hospitals and clinics, die or suffer irreparable harm because of medical error.
The story was about Logan Stiner, a graduating high school senior in Ohio, who died of a caffeine overdose. He had ingested pure powdered caffeine, which is available over the counter and as a mail order item. The caffeine powder he ingested, at least according to newspaper reports I read, was sold under the brand name “Hard Rhino” and had been obtained through Amazon.com More